Friday, November 13, 2015

Kevin Beaty and Passion Projects

Our DigCit class is teaching us not only how to behave responsibly on the internet, it also teaches us how to use our passions to make change in the community or to get your message out there for people to see. We recently had Kevin Beaty, a freelance artist, photographer, and filmmaker, talk to us through a google hangout, a Skype-like video broadcasting website used to connect people from around the world, because he was in Colorado at the time. we talked about how he used his passion to create a career for him. we also talked about how you may go to college for one thing and end up doing something completely different. It was interesting to get a different perspective on college and how certain passions can lead to successful futures. 
I'm not sure I've talked about this yet, but just in case, I'll talk about it. On the week of November 5th, my class held a community showcase in which we displayed on poster board our projects so far and what we hope to do in the future with the project. Think of it like a science fair where people roam around and stumble upon different projects while the people behind the projects take about them. Just in this case instead of science it was our passion projects. My project went very well, but I have to say, it could have been a lot better. I have a problem with procrastination and I feel it could have been more professional. But, on the other hand, my public speaking skills were astounding. I've had people tell me that I speak comfortably and that I hold eye contact with the people I as talking to. Overall, everything we've talked about this week and last week have strengthened my drive toward what I'm really passionate about and I will continue this goal of mine until the day I die.

Kevin Beaty's Website: http://kevinjbeaty.com/cover/#start

No comments:

Post a Comment